Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Power of Orchids, the Survivor



Orchidaceae, the Orchid family is the largest family of flowering plants with more than 880 known genera and 22,000 accepted species. Orchids can be found in literally everywhere in the world except deserts and glacier. Its has very special attributes for survival with common plant parts like non parasitical aerial roots, nutrient storing pseudobulbs (“onion sharp trucks”), leafs without permanent woody structure which come with or without chlorophyll, a wide variety of flower structure and specialized pollination systems with very tiny and light seeds. Most species live on shrubs but some species live on soil as well, for instance, the slipper orchids which live in poorly lit and humid ground of the thick tropical rain forests.

I admire and love orchids. At some point in time during secondary education, I went for a jungle trekking in Ulu Yam with a senior friend who was an orchid fan in search for wild orchids. After all the hard work climbing slopes and crossing streams, we found some precious wild orchids deep in the jungle. Leeches and insects challenged us along the way but the success in getting the “gem” of the forest was satisfactory, though tiring. They live at lower latitude near to the streams and higher latitude in the thick forests. From thereon, my interest in orchids germinated. I saw the natural habitats of wild orchids and further reading enhanced my knowledge in them. During my tertiary education, I had more than 100 pots of orchids in my backyard. In the process of growing them, I found out that these plants possess outstanding survival skills which eventually formed part of my values, principles and characters. The rich aerial roots do not harm the host trees and capable of absorbing water in the fog. The roots obtain the nutrients from wood debris and dry leafs. In short, they tap on the growth of the host trees in search for more light while resting on the high shrubs and live in symbiosis with their host trees. The pseusobulbs store nutrients and water which are critical for survival in the dry seasons. Their pleasant scent and colorful flowers attract bees and insects for pollination and their light seeds travel to a far distance in the breath of wind, making a new voyage in search for betterment in living environment. Although they have short lifespan (normally less than 5 years), they do not choose to live decent life. Instead, they struggle to live a fruitful life and flourish with the prettiest flowers they can produce in the limited lifespan and challenging living conditions in the natural habitats.



Taking care of orchid plants of a vast variety of species with their respective living requirement involves a great deal of knowledge and patience, ranging from promoting growth of roots, prevention of fungus and insect attack, fertilizing, promoting flowering using plant hormones and creating environment that resembles their natural habitats in term of exposure to sunshine, ventilation and humidity. However, when I was able to get the setting and nutrients correct, their rapid and noticeable growth was both encouraging and satisfactory. Everyday, I could see the aerial roots and leafs grow in millimeters. Their strong roots, green leafs and blooming flowers gave me considerable sense of achievement and success. However, in the event that I did not get the setting correct, I could see leafs and roots shrunk and dried up. The immunity of some species of orchids dropped tremendously. Then, insects and pathogens followed. However, the ironical part came. I could notice the orchids forwent their leafs and stems. In turn, they preserved the nutrient in their pseudobulbs while waiting patiently for the next rain or season where it can have conducive condition for growth again. Indeed, this part was more exciting and thought provoking than the one with correct setting.

Sometimes, when I encounter challenges and tough time, I will pay a visit my beloved orchids. The objective of such gesture is to earn the motivation from their survival skills. I used to ask myself, how can lose my face to such tiny plants? What can I learn from them? Then, I will sit down and start analyzing and strategizing instead of giving up. With calmer minds and more courage to face the problems in hands, I could analyze the situation with clearer mind and to face the tough time and challenges ahead with more courage. In many instances, I could find my solutions and strategies thereafter.

My word of wisdom in tough time: “Orchids, Orchids, I love you…”

4 comments:

  1. You sound soooooo GAY!!! (No offence to all the GAY people out there alright) but “Orchids, Orchids, I love you…” ??????? LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound soooooo GAY!!! (No offence to all the GAY people out there alright) but “Orchids, Orchids, I love you…” ??????? LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Till you meet the real man with double Cs flowing from inside to every part of the body...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Join the club first then we shall schedule a session for you for further clarrification..

    ReplyDelete