Monday, August 31, 2009

A Philosopher vs A Boat Man

A tale often told as well…



One day, a prominent philosopher went on a boat at a jetty. Then, the boatman started the voyage.

After a while, the philosopher asked the boatman "Do you know music?"

The boatman replied, "No, I don't."

Later, the philosopher said, "Well, you have wasted 1/3 of your life. So, do you know philosophy?"

The boatman answered, "No, I don't."

The philosopher said again, "Well, you have wasted another 1/3 of your life."

Silence was in the air. The boat gradually moved to deep sea.

Suddenly… a voice is heard, "szeeee… ." The boat is sinking!!!

The boatman asked the philosopher, "Do you know how to swim?"

The philosopher answered, "I afraid I don't."

The boatman said, "Then you have wasted all your time just knowing music and philosophy. You will die now."

I am not good with the eternity, philosophy and life after life. What I know better is science and presence. Perhaps philosophy originates from our daily life as well. However, I trust that I must do whatever in front of me good and God will decide the result. At least, I will try my best and I will appreciate the process, be it a success or failure.

Life, if so smooth and flat, without obstacle and hindrance, we can see the end, death not so far away. So, when we see obstacle as stones on our path, we can choose to take them as something that hinder us to proceed or it can choose to take them as stepping stones for us to climb up and see the horizon far ahead. Without suffering, the fruit will not be well appreciated and sweet.

Lotus grow from the mud but uncontaminated. Mud symbolizes our environment and if you feel the mud is so dirty and refuse to put in the Lotus' seed in it, well, we do not have any chance to see it grow (or otherwise) at all…

God, if He wishes to grant us any mission, He will first torture of bodies, then train up our spirit…

No comments:

Post a Comment